tracking -stable in the enterprise

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Jun 25 09:23:54 UTC 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:51 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> FWIW, Yahoo! tracks -stable branches, not point releases.

I'm curious about this (and stealing the dead thread).

How does one track -stable in an enterprise environment?  I assume
that what you mean is "we pick points in -stable that we believe are
stable enough and create a snapshot from this point that we test and
roll out to production" ...?  Am I wrong?

I mean, I guess Yahoo has enough resources to literally run every
commit to -stable through a full test cycle and push it out to every
machine, but my mind boggles to imagine the manpower cost of doing
so.  (and to justify the manpower cost versus the gain from doing so...)

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness