FreeBSD 7.0 Stable and the CP2101 driver

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Wed Jun 11 05:40:22 UTC 2008

Dennis Flynn wrote:

> That doesn't seem right to me.  Shouldn't I see something like
> 7.0-RELEASE-p1 or 7.0-STABLE?  Did I do something wrong in my update
> to RELEASE?  How do I know if I'm running the STABLE kernel with the
> driver I want?  How can I tell if the driver (uslcom) is there and/or
> loaded?

To tell if a driver is loaded:

dmesg | grep uslcom

You'll also want to know about kldstat(1).

I've never used freebsd-update.  I do suspect that the standard MO in
FreeBSD land is to _not_ update the kernel unless explicitly requested.
 You might want to snoop around the docs with that in mind.  Also,
FreeBSD may support your driver, but not build it into the GENERIC
kernel by default.  If the driver you want does not appear in the
GENERIC kernel, then you will have to compile a kernel or load a kernel
module.

There is good documentation on building a kernel in the handbook.

Regards,
Jason