[nvidia | shared irq] umass disconnects [was: panic dd-ing from a USB "disk" ]

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 16:58:03 UTC 2008

--On Friday, June 06, 2008 19:36:46 +0200 "Arno J. Klaassen"
<arno at heho.snv.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> I can easily produce a similar panic on a dual Opteron 185 with
> 3G of RAM and running 7-stable-amd64 on a (cheap) nvidia-based MB.
> It runs gmirror on atapci1 and I attach a geli-encrypted
> disk via usb. Both share irq 23.
>
> Under heavy load ("periodic security" is enough ) it panics after
> having disconnected umass0 ( kgdb trace below ) :
>
> Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
> umass0: at uhub1 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
> (da1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> (pass1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> (pass1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry

I have problems with umass during reboot.  It causes a kernel panic and a
forced reboot.  To work around the problem, I disconnect the usb cable to
reboot.  Once the system comes back up, I can map the drive with no problems.

If someone can tell me how to capture the information, I'd be glad to do so.  I
have no idea how to do it, and, after I disconnect the cable and reboot again,
dmesg.boot looks perfectly normal.  I've looked for core files but haven't
found any.  savecore -C returns "No dump exists".

This is my workstation, so I can fiddle with it as need be to capture useful
information.  I just need someone knowledgeable to walk me through it, because
this type of work is definitely out of my league.

# uname -a
FreeBSD utd65257.utdallas.edu 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #7: Sun Jun  8
15:58:57 CDT 2008     root at utd65257.utdallas.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

I just rebuilt world and kernel again, hoping the latest patches would solve
the problem, but it didn't.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,