Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jun 9 01:10:48 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:01:47 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Richard Arends wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:45:12AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
>
> I didn't follow this thread earlier because I don't have this laptop,
> but I wonder if anyone has offered the suggestion to blow out all the
> vents and heatsinks with compressed air yet? Even in a fairly "healthy"
> environment at home my laptop gets a non-trivial amount of dust buildup.
> I blow it clean about once a month and get visible results each time.

Amen, Doug.

I post this advise fairly routinely.

For my ThinkPad, I just remove the keyboard (4 screws) and blow into the
exhaust ports. I know that I would be better off with compressed air,
but my lungs are hand and available and, the small amount of
contamination they input is dwarfed by the massive cloud of dust that
blasts out of the air intake in the heat sink assembly.

Low tech and only takes about 15 minutes. I do it annually or when the
CPU temp hits 90 during a big build (such as buildworld or gnome).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)