challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Jun 4 23:22:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:41:45PM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Clifton Royston wrote:

> >  For example, if I take a 6.3R CD, or build one for 6-RELENG, is there
> >a way to do an "upgrade in place" on each server?  Or would it work
> >better to do a build from recent source on the development server, then
> >export /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS to the production servers and do
> >the usual "make installkernel; reboot;" etc. sequence on them?  (In my
> >case I do have all machines on one GigE switch.)

> I've heard of the latter being done with decent results.

I can't say that it is "better", but I do the latter (well, actually I
build on a test machine to make sure there are no problems, then sync
to an NFS server and mount src and object from there, followed by
installkernel-reboot-installworld-merge-reboot) on a number of different
machines (currently runnign 6.3-STABLE of 2008-05-22 and 7.0-STABLE of
2008-05-27), and it is certainly faster and easier than doing a build
on each individual machine.

I do the same thing with ports, doing a 'portupgrade -p' on the build
machine followed by a 'portupgrade -P' on the "clients" (building
packages on the build machine, and then installing via my own packages
on the others).  Again, I can't say that it is "better", but it is
certainly faster and easier.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL