Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Martin nakal at web.de
Tue Jun 3 22:09:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 05:22:18 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.
> I'm not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching
> temperatures of almost 70C **while idling**.

Hallo,

I can confirm this. I've got a T60p Lenovo Thinkpad here. This laptop is
very lazy with speeding up the fan, when using automatic fan settings.

I've got CPU temperatures up to 101°C here, while compiling world or
ports. At this point the laptop powers off. The fan works. I checked it.

The fan is far too slow, when setting it to highest level:
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 3745
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 0

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen it at 4300 and almost 5000 rpm
earlier at high temperatures around 90°C. Today it always stays below
4000 rpm, even at 100°C.

Second problem is that the VGA sits under the same heat sink as
the CPU. The GPU or chipset is constantly at 75°C minimum, because
FreeBSD-powerd does not adjust the voltage settings of the VGA and
always runs it at full power. This heats up the CPU additionally.

I have a small script that automatically adapts the CPU speed, so it
stays below 75°C while compiling big things. Optionally one can set the
CPU speed to 1667MHz manually while compiling.

--
Martin