Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 3 20:09:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:

> Has anyone tried 7.0-Stable on a Thinkpad t61p.  I've been using one
> for a few weeks and have had many problems, after several event-free
> years on a t42.
>
> My issues are mainly ACPI related--consistent lockups trying to
> suspend; hangs during shutdown.  Have updated the BIOS and I'm going
> through the list of items in the acpi-debugging list, in the handbook.

I see some lockups from time to time that I can't even get into DDB, but
its very rare. Forget about suspend/resume - it doesn't work on any SMP
machine. There were some patches posted on freebsd-acpi@ for
suspend/resume SMP support, but they didn't work for me. I see no
problems with shutdown (if I don't use mentioned patches). Other than
that it works quite ok. Unfortunately because of nvidia driver
limitation I can't run amd64 or PAE.

> I'm also having issues with the DVD reader on the machine.  I'm mainly
> curious to know if anyone else is having these problems, and if anyone
> has comments about the hardware in general.

I haven't tried DVD too much, but it's the same reader I had in T43 I
think.