Fresh 7.0 Install: Fatal Trap 12 panic when put under load

john at basicnets.co.uk john at basicnets.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 20:42:08 UTC 2008

   > I feel for you John, I've lost many nights sleep in the last couple
> weeks trying to understand why this production box was crashing.  I
> was really surprised to see this start happening, normally my freebsd
> boxes have uptimes in terms of years, not hours.

   Thanks for the sentiment, at last I have been able to smile about
this problem - maybe we should start a support group ... I'll start
... Hi, I'm John and I'm a failing sys admin, I haven't had a panic
for 2 hours now and I'm taking it just 1 tick at a time ;-)

Just to share with the group, I had an email from Kris off of the list
that made a lot of sense.  I'm beginning to agree with him that it is
probably a hardware issue.  I'll go quiet now and spend some money on
different hardware.  For anyone who finds this thread on Google, I can
only echo Michael's comments - the thing that makes these panics so
infuriating is that even with dodgy old hardware FreeBSD has always
proven to be a very stable OS for me and as you can see, the community
is always willing to help.

Thanks to all that have spent time on this issue for me.

   John