unable to use gmirror on supermicro 5015b-mt

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Jul 23 22:06:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:23:52PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> As I suspected, no takers :)
>
> "Fix".
>
> In /boot/loader.conf
>
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"
>
> This allows kldload without hang. I'm sure that this fix will allow me to
> configure a mirror. I'll post back if I'm wrong.

  OK, but *probably* this is an indicator that you need to either
replace the cable (think you said you've tried that) or replace the
motherboard.  If the cable is known-good and the other components are
known-good, and it won't run with DMA on supported hardware, something
is seriously wrong with this particular board and odds are too high
that it will die horribly later.  (Not to mention that you'll be
hammering your CPU just to get lousy throughput out of it.)

  As you said in the other post, you've already spent hours of your
life you won't get back - do you want to sign up for some more hours
further down the road?

  -- Clifton (suddenly questioning why I'm spending hours on mailing lists today)

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/