unable to boot 7.0-RELEASE cdrom on supermicro 5015b-mt

ian j hart ianjhart at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 23 19:57:27 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 01:18:35 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> [...]
> FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE
>
> The adX device renumbering is expected.  There are workarounds for this,
> but I recommend you simply enable AHCI.  Do not keep toggling it on/off.
>
> > > Below is what we use on our systems; factory defaults, then make the
> > > following changes.  (The G-LAN1 OPROM option you can do whatever you
> > > want with -- it's specific to our environment).
> > >
> > > * Main
> > >     * Date
> > >          --> Set to GMT, not local time!!!
> > >     * Serial ATA
> > >          --> SATA Controller Mode --> Enhanced
> > >          --> SATA AHCI --> Enabled

> > >     * Boot Features
> > >          --> Quiet Mode --> Disabled
> > >          --> Enable Multimedia Timer --> Enabled
> > >     * PCI Configuration
> > >          --> Onboard G-LAN1 OPROM --> Disabled
> > >          --> Large Disk Access Mode --> Other
> > >     * Advanced Processor Options
> > >          --> Intel(R) Virtualization Technology --> Enabled
> > >          --> C1 Enhanced Mode --> Enabled
> >
> > I've got as close as I can to this.
> >
> > This board also has an AHCI legacy option [disabled] which hides ports 5
> > and 6. I also disabled quickboot and POST errors. I assume multimedia
> > timer is the same as HPET. Doesn't seem to be any disk translation
> > option. I took the fans off 'flat out'.
>
> Okay, I've had a chance to review the board manual that comes with the
> X7SBi.  You should set the following:
>
> Serial ATA: Enabled
> Native Mode Operation: Serial ATA
> SATA AHCI: Enabled
> SATA AHCI Legacy: Disabled
>
> The name "SATA AHCI Legacy" a horrible name for what it does.  The ICH9
> itself has support for 6 SATA ports, but (if I remember correctly, based
> on reading some Intel design documents) there are extra registers you
> have to tweak to get those ports to work, and the OS has to be fully
> aware of how to do that.  The BIOS option simply disables SATA ports 5
> and 6 altogether; the underlying OS never sees them.  I'd recommend
> keeping that setting Disabled (the default) unless you have disks on
> those ports (I don't see how, since it's a 4-disk system!).
>
> I don't think this option is what's causing you problems, though.
>
> "Multimedia Timer" is indeed HPET.  Looks like they changed the name to
> be more reflective of what it actually is.
>
> The "Large Disk Access" mode does appear to be missing from that BIOS,
> probably for a good reason.  I can enable/disable it on our boards with
> no repercussions (the options are "DOS" and "Other", which is why I
> choose "Other").  I'm not entirely sure what it does.
>
> As for your problem...
>
> If the CDROM is the problem (which would be odd, since the disc does
> boot and load the kernel successfully), can you try going into the BIOS
> and setting IDE Channel 0 Master (which I think is the CDROM -- I could
> be wrong here) and set "Transfer Mode" to PIO1 and "Ultra DMA Mode" to
> Disabled?
>
> I have a feeling the problem isn't related to the CDROM, but I'm not

I tried each BIOS setting in turn. No joy.

I tried a 40 wire cable. No joy

I tried an old CDROM (Mitsumi FX4830T circa Feb 2001). No joy

Had a feeling that the drive always came up as UDMA33.

Tried setting hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

Wahay! <cue halleluyah chorus>

The drive throws errors but it boots.

Did an install, and that hangs too without this setting in /boot/loader.conf.

Frankly I'm kicking myself for not trying this earlier. That's ~16 hours I'll
never get back. OTOH this has been the default for a long time now.

Thank you Jeremy, I wouldn't have got there without you.

--
ian j hart