FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 17:16:57 UTC 2008

Doug Barton wrote:
> Clifton Royston wrote:
>>   I also think that modular design of security-sensitive tools is the
>> way to go, with his DNS tools as with Postfix.
>
> Dan didn't write postfix, he wrote qmail.
>
> If you're interested in a resolver-only solution (and that is not a bad
> way to go) then you should evaluate dns/unbound. It is a lightweight
> resolver-only server that has a good security model and already
> implements query port randomization. It also has the advantage of being
> maintained, and compliant to 21st Century DNS standards including DNSSEC

Are there any plans to enable DNSSEC capability in the resolver built into FreeBSD?

> (which, btw, is the real solution to the response forgery problem, it
> just can't be deployed universally before 8/5).

That big announcement Dan Kaminsky was going to make at the Blackhat
Conference in August?  Unfortunately the cat has already been let out
of the bag:

http://blog.invisibledenizen.org/2008/07/kaminskys-dns-issue-accidentally-leaked.html

There's no implementation of DNS that can be any /more/ proof against this
than BIND+latest patches because the problem is intrinsic to the design of
the DNS protocol. You'ld better be patched up or using alternative DNS
implementations equally secure already.  Even so that just increases the
search space from about 16bits to about 30bits, which should make it not
really feasible given current network and server capabilities.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW