FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jul 22 15:52:45 UTC 2008

Brett Glass wrote:
 > At 02:24 PM 7/21/2008, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 >
 > > Don't forget that ANY server that caches data, including an end system
 > > running a caching only server is vulnerable.
 >
 > Actually, there is an exception to this. A "forward only"
 > cache/resolver is only as vulnerable as its forwarder(s). This is a
 > workaround for the vulnerability for folks who have systems that they
 > cannot easily upgrade: point at a trusted forwarder that's patched.
 >
 > We're also looking at using dnscache from the djbdns package.

I'm curious, is djbdns exploitable, too?  Does it randomize
the source ports of UDP queries?

 > Of course, all solutions that randomize ports are really just
 > "security by obscurity," because by shuffling ports you're hiding the
 > way to poison your cache... a little.

True, but there is currently no better solution, AFAIK.
The problem is inherent in the way DNS queries work.

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless