HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop wont boot off install cd

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 15:51:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Kevin K <kkutzko at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:31:37 -0400
>> Kevin K <kkutzko at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>>
>> > For 7.0-RELEASE, it
>> > seemed to hang at "Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0".
>>
>> How long did you wait? If you didn't wait 10 or 15 minutes, please do.
>> Various tests / probes take a long time to time out on some hardware.
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Torfinn Ingolfsen
>

> I tried the 7.0-release-amd64 200807 snapshot and it booted (after holding
> the spacebar @ /boot/loader.conf).

I have seen this on some HP notebooks. It seems that the CD drive does
not to stabilize on time before booting, leading to some disk read
errors. The trick is to press F9 (or F12, depending on the notebook
model) to force the BIOS to show the boot device menu. Then, *after
the CD drive stop spinning*, choose the boot from CD/DVD option.

> It stopped at Trying to mount root from
> ufs:/dev/md0". I waited about 30-45 minutes and it didn't continue from that
> point -- the keyboard was also unresponsive.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Try to disable kbdmux before booting. Jump to the loader prompt and type:

set hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1
boot -v

--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only
because you lack sufficient imagination.