Panic on ZFS startup after crash

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 21 09:02:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:29:54AM +0200, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>
> > Can you try this patch?
> >
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/space_map.c.patch
>
> Now it panics (solaris assert) at line 431 in dmu.c. I'll try to get a
> backtrace in a day or two if it would help.

The backtrace won't help here. I'm afraid your pool's metadata is
somehow corrupted that ZFS can't handle that. I saw warnings in your
first e-mail about ZFS not beeing able to replay ZIL. Can you try
disabling ZIL? Something like:

	# zpool export <name>
	# kldunload zfs
	# kenv vfs.zfs.zil_disable=1
	# kldload zfs
	# zpool import <name>

Although I'm not sure if disabling ZIL will prevent replaying previously
prepared ZIL. If that won't help, I'm afraid the last suggestion I can
provide is to try the lastest ZFS version (I can prepare a patch for you
in a few days).

The panic you're seeing is in dmu_write() function. You could also try
to import a pool read-only, but I just tried doing so with
'zpool import -o ro <name>' command and it mount file systems
read-write. Not sure why it doesn't work, but I'll try to fix it today.