how to get more logging from GEOM?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sat Jul 19 06:29:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Jo Rhett <hostmaster at netconsonance.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:59:33AM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
>>>
>>> Every time it is rebuilding ad0.   Every single boot in the last two
>>> weeks.
>
> On Jul 11, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Clifton Royston wrote:
>>
>>  That just means that it halted without a proper shutdown.  If it
>> crashes, the mirror isn't stopped properly, so it's marked dirty, so it
>> must rebuild it.  It is the precise analogy of finding all the file
>> systems dirty on boot and fscking them, following a crash.
>

> Thanks for the clarification.  Dang, I hoped I was on to something.

This is really off on a tangent, but I thought I'd mention it on the
off-chance that it fit your problem.

Recently there have been grumblings about heat problems with certain
nvidia chipsets on consumer boards.  Apparently, there is some process
issue, if you believe trade rags like theinquirer.net etc.  Apparently
there is some issue with heat damage over time.  Consumer motherboards
with passive cooled (no fan) heat pipes etc seem to be particularly
vulnerable.  I use the word "apparently" because it is far from a
verified fact.

However, I've got two motherboards, one running freebsd, one running
windows, with nvidia chipsets.  Both used to be fine with onboard IDE
activity.  Both now use raid controllers so the IDE interfaces have
been idle for a good year or so.

Something came up and I had to use the IDE interfaces for a lot of
data transfer.  Suddenly, both machines are flakey.  The windows
machine blue screens under load.  My freebsd box just "turns off"
(motherboard appears to power off, but the power supply is on still).
The same happens when I use a linux boot disk, so I know its not
FreeBSD's fault.

The common factor seems to be that the motherboards are now about a
year and a half old.  They both have the same nvidia south bridge that
theinquirer.net was trashing.   Both used to work fine, now have
problems with IDE.  and now I recalled the article and started
wondering...

Do you, by any wildly remote chance, have an nvidia based motherboard?

I believe the fault I'm seeing is the system asserting a fatal error
by doing a HT ECC flood to halt everything.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete