em vs IPMI

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:39:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

Under 7.0R, I've had problems with IPMI over LAN failing across reboot
on an Intel S3200SH m/b. I see the following at line 669 of if_em.c:

    /* Indicate SOL/IDER usage */
    if (e1000_check_reset_block(&adapter->hw))
             device_printf(dev,
                 "PHY reset is blocked due to SOL/IDER session.\n");

Two questions:

1. Am I correct to infer that PHY reset will kill the IPMI LAN setup?
2. Does the above mean I don't have to worry about losing IPMI if I have
    an established SOL session? I'm particularly concerned about getting
    into single user.

I figured out how to reestablish access using ipmitool to poke the
IPMI LAN setup, but of course I can only get in to do that if the box
is up multiuser.

I'd find out the answers by experiment, but the box is in production
in a colo so it's not so easy. Thanks

--
Bob Bishop          +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb at gid.co.uk    fax +44 (0)118 940 1295