Failure building apache22 and mysql51

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 22:20:15 UTC 2008

2008/7/14 Sorin Pânca <sorin.panca at psrk.com>:
> I'm sorry for my late response, I was on vacation.
> I think this was the case (although I thought we have only amd64 machines).
> Is there a way to recover from this situation by ssh access only?
>
> Thank you!
> Sorin.
>
> Chris Rees wrote:
>>>
>>> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:43:04 +0300
>>> From: Sorin P?nca <sorin.panca at psrk.com>
>>

>>> Hello people!
>>> I recently upgraded a amd64 machine from FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE-p11 to
>>> FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE-p2 using the tutorial found at
>>>
>>> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade.html
>>> All went well with the base system.
>>
>> I don't want to patronise, but are you sure you were running
>> FreeBSD/amd64-6.2 before? Looks kinda like you've tried to upgrade
>> from 6.2/i386 to 7.0/amd64. In case you have, you can't do that.
>>
>> Check you haven't disabled and processor-specific extensions in your
>> BIOS, like SSE, that would also create problems if you have optimised
>> your ports.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>>> I thought devel/linuxthreads was using some old library so I tried to
>>> rebuild it:
>>>
>>> # cd ../../devel/linuxthreads && make install clean # portupgrade -f
>>> wouldn't do anything
>>> ===>  linuxthreads-2.2.3_23 is only for i386, while you are running
>>> amd64.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads.
>>>

>>> Any ideas what to do next?
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Sorin.

If I understand you correctly, you want to revert to FreeBSD/i386; in
which case I'd advise that you are *extremely* careful, and make sure
that everything important is recompiled in i386; FreeBSD/amd64 can run
binaries from FreeBSD/i386, but not vice-versa.

I *think* that you should be ok running a source update (csup sources,
make buildworld installworld kernel) with arch as i386, then reboot,
pkg_delete -f portupgrade\*, pkg_add -r portupgrade, portupgrade -faP
etc

Don't take my word for it, it is beyond my expertise, I've
deliberately made it obtuse; get someone with more knowledge to
elucidate :P

Or, you could stick with /amd64.
--
R< $&h ! > $- ! $+	$@ $2 < @ $1 .UUCP. > (sendmail.cf)