how to get more logging from GEOM?

Jo Rhett hostmaster at netconsonance.com
Wed Jul 16 21:41:36 UTC 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Roland Smith wrote:
>> After about 2 weeks of watching it carefully I've learned almost
>> nothing.  It's not a disk failure (AFAIK) it's not cpu overheat (now
>> running healthd without complaints) it's not based on any given
>> network traffic...  however it does appear to accompany heavy cpu/
>> disk
>> activity.  It usually dies when indexing my websites at night (but
>> not
>> always) and it sometimes dies when compiling programs.   Just heavy
>> disk isn't enough to do the job, as backups proceed without
>> problems.   Heavy cpu by itself isn't enough to do it either.  But if
>> I start compiling things and keep going a while, it will eventually
>> hang.
>
>> Is there anything else I should be looking at?
>
> Power supply or motherboard would be my first guess.

If the system went offline, I agree.  But it's clearly a kernel
deadlock, since the system remains pingable, answers TCP connections,
etc etcc.... but doesn't respond.  No TCP negotiation, no response on
the console, etc.   It's higher level activity which isn't working...

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness