how to get more logging from GEOM?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Jul 11 16:49:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:59:33AM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> My best guess is that geom is having a problem and locking up.
> There's no log entry before failure to back this idea up, but I think
> this because during boot I see the following:
>
> ad0: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300622A 3.AAH> at ata0-master UDMA100
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 created (id=575427344).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 detected.
> ad1: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300622A 3.AAH> at ata0-slave UDMA100
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad1 detected.
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad1 activated.
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: rebuilding provider ad0.
>
> Every time it is rebuilding ad0.   Every single boot in the last two
> weeks.

  That just means that it halted without a proper shutdown.  If it
crashes, the mirror isn't stopped properly, so it's marked dirty, so it
must rebuild it.  It is the precise analogy of finding all the file
systems dirty on boot and fscking them, following a crash.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/