disk questions: geom and zfs

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 9 10:32:07 UTC 2008

matheus at eternamente.info wrote:
> hail,
>
> I have a 7-stable:
>
> [matheus at xxx /usr/home/matheus]$ uname -a
> FreeBSD xxx 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Sun Jul  6 15:03:26 BRT 2008
>     root at lamneth:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx_7  i386
>
> and there exists three geom things.
>
> gconcat status
>           Name  Status  Components
> concat/concat0      UP  ad4
>                         ad5
> gmirror status
>           Name    Status  Components
> mirror/mirror0  COMPLETE  ad8s1
>                           ad10s1
> gstripe status
>           Name  Status  Components
> stripe/stripe0      UP  ad8s2
>                         ad10s2
>
> and a small (100GB) zfs pool.
>
> the thing is, if I take all these disks to a 6.3R-p2 system, will I get in
> trouble ? what if this 6.3R becomes 7-stable also, will this trouble
> disappear ?

I think it should just ignore the parts it can't recognise.  I have a
vague memory that something about the metadata format changed in one of
the geom providers (mirror/stripe/something) so there might be a problem
there.  Try to research whether that is the case.

In general you'll be better off if you just run it on 7.0 of course.

Kris