disk questions: geom and zfs

matheus at eternamente.info matheus at eternamente.info
Wed Jul 9 01:01:51 UTC 2008

hail,

I have a 7-stable:

[matheus at xxx /usr/home/matheus]$ uname -a
FreeBSD xxx 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Sun Jul  6 15:03:26 BRT 2008
    root at lamneth:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx_7  i386

and there exists three geom things.

gconcat status
          Name  Status  Components
concat/concat0      UP  ad4
                        ad5
gmirror status
          Name    Status  Components
mirror/mirror0  COMPLETE  ad8s1
                          ad10s1
gstripe status
          Name  Status  Components
stripe/stripe0      UP  ad8s2
                        ad10s2

and a small (100GB) zfs pool.

the thing is, if I take all these disks to a 6.3R-p2 system, will I get in
trouble ? what if this 6.3R becomes 7-stable also, will this trouble
disappear ?

the 7-stable is now a old epox motherboard with highpoint ide raid (used
as normal ide) and two sata ports, the 6.3R is a pentium II two port
regular ide motherboard, I'll add a 4 port sata pci card. lets forget
about the zfs need for memory (noew runs fine since sunday with 512MB),
just the disk order change (ad4 probably won be ad4 anymore).

thanks,

matheus