[: -le: argument expected

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 31 17:18:51 PST 2008

Hi Chris,

Firstly, a disclaimer: I'm not an expert so I might be behind the times
on what I'm about to tell you...

Chris H. wrote:
 > Hello all,
 > System:
 > FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE i386 Wed Jan 16 18:39:53 PST 2008
 >
 > Context:
 > After several failed attempts to get a /stable/ installation of
 > Apache13-ssl
 > and friends built and installed from source (see thread:
 > /usr/bin/objformat, for
 > more background). I chose to look at the possibility of using Apache
 > 2.0. I was
 > reluctant, as doing so would require migrating ~50 carefully crafted
 > conf files
 > which have evolved over many yrs. to be now seemingly impervious to
 > abuse, or
 > attack. I hadn't intended this server to become a guinea pig, but my ill
 > fated
 > attempts to install a stable copy of www/apache13-ssl from source
 > necessitated
 > increasing the resources on the other servers. So as to experiment on
 > this one.
 >
 > To the point!
 > Building Apache 2.0 on this box requied cvsupping src/ports (2008-01-30).
 > As the version of Apache 2.0 was 2.0.61 (has 2 security related issues).
 > Current version:
 > 2.0.63. Building/installing this version went w/o trouble. Ran as
expected.
 > I only made 1 mod from the default config/build: WITH_MPM?= threadpool.
 > The original was: WITH_MPM?= prefork. My diong so also required: KQUEUE.
 > Other than that, all was as-was.

[snip]

Regardless of the errors you reported, I believe changing the MPM is a
problem. Last time I tried Apache with the threaded worker MPM it worked
flawlessly. However PHP has issues because it isn't thread safe. The
only safe way to run the 2 together was to set the Apache MPM back to
the default (prefork). Taking my disclaimer into account, I possibly
just didn't figure out how to make the 2 play nice, so I'd welcome
info/pointers from others who have managed to get threaded apache and
PHP working together.

Assuming no one pipes up and explains how to work around the PHP
threading issues, I'd recommend rebuilding apache with the default MPM
(shouldn't require any make variables defined). Verify it works ok once
installed and then try get PHP working again.

I would also echo the recommendation of others to jump straight to
Apache 2.2(.8) if you're going to make a disruptive switch now anyways.
I have a personal step-by-step build guide for getting Apache 2.2 and
PHP5 working together if you're interested.

As to your reported errors, I can't really shed any light on them, sorry.

Cheers,
Lawrence