newfs locks entire machine for 20seconds

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 17:16:55 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter" <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com>

> What *exactly* do you mean by
>
>> machine still locks up with no activity for anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds.
>
> Is there disk activity? (e.g. activity light(s) flashing if you have them)

Cant tell if there is disk activity its in a DC miles away ;)

> Does top continue to update the screen during the 20-30 seconds?
>
> I'm thinking that newfs has queued up a bunch of disk i/o, and other
> disk i/o gets locked out, but activities that don't require any disk i/o
> (like top, once it is up and running) could continue.  Is that what is
> happening?

No all sessions totally freeze. I have top set to 1 second refreshes and
the clock literally stops and then 20-30 seconds later continues. All
sessions are via ssh not X if that's of interest.

I could understand if IO to disk for other processes became slow but
everything including things like top just stop which is quite odd and
concerning.

    Regards
    Steve