4.8 -> 4.11 in-place upgrade ?

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Wed Jan 30 06:42:57 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:01:40AM -0500, Robin Blanchard wrote:
>> I just inherited a remote 4.8 box...Having not used RELENG_4 in eons,
>> just wanted to check if it's safe to "live upgrade" (make
>> installworld/kernel ; mergemaster) directly to 4.11 (world/kernel
>> already built; waiting to install). /usr/src/UPDATING doesn't seem to
>> indicate this is out of the question.
>
> It would be best for you to just schedule a time to update the box
> entirely to RELENG_7, or at least RELENG_6.  This may take less time
> and
> induce less pain than any oddities which might appear from a 4.8->4.11
> upgrade.

FWIW; I did a 4.7->4.11 upgrade not too long ago, and didn't bump into
any issues. YMMV of course. Whether or not it's worth it is another
question entirely, and one you'll have to figure out for yourself :) I
moved everything I could to 6-RCsomething when that was teh h0tness,
and haven't looked back since (did some poking into 5-land as well,
went back to 4.x badly burned).

/Eirik