kldload: Unsupported file type

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Jan 29 22:21:22 PST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Since updating to 6.3-RELEASE on two machines I see this message a
> lot.

Hooray I am not alone!
I have a thread in stable called ' kldstat causes kernel to print odd
message' (not the best subject since it's wrong AND undescriptive),
message ID is 200801171410.38488.doconnor at gsoft.com.au.

> It is printed whenever a kernel module is loaded.
> The modules load OK. Nothing special or different about them.
>
> It seems to be harmless, but any idea why it's started happening
> since the release?

It is printed by sys/kern/link_elf.c - amd64 uses this for historical
reasons.

The issue is that it is being called before the stuff in link_elf_obj.c
and printing an error, the kernel then tries _obj and it works.

I tried #ifdef'ing out link_elf.c but it panicd my machine on boot and I
haven't had time to find out why.

The good news is that it's a purely cosmetic problem.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum