USB support + Supermicro IPMI KVM = no keyboard

Erik Stian Tefre erik at tefre.com
Tue Jan 29 11:15:29 PST 2008

Steven Hartland wrote:
> When booting a default kernel e.g. standard install cd the KVM over LAN
> keyboard on Supermicro's IPMI modules refuse to function. Once installed
> if we build a kernel without USB all is good.
>
> So two questions:-
> 1. Can usb support be disabled from the loader?
> 2. Anyone got any ideas why USB would break the IPMI keyboard?

The IPMI keyboard is a USB keyboard. It seems to work OK on a box
running 7.0:

port 6 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, Multidevice(0x0002),
Peppercon AG(0x14dd), rev 0.01

ukbd0: <Peppercon AG Multidevice, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2> on uhub3

The same box running 6.2 did not connect the device as a usb keyboard.

--
Erik