/usr/bin/objformat is missing

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Tue Jan 29 01:37:28 PST 2008

Quoting Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au>:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:41:56PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>> In case you're wondering, objformat /is/ required - at leas for
>> www/apache13-ssl.
>
> objformat was created at around FreeBSD 3.0 as a temporary tool to
> handle the a.out to ELF transition and has been obsolete for nearly 8
> years.  Unfortunately, it's continued presence misled third-party
> developers.

Yes, this is what I gathered from the man pages. Too bad the Vendors
don't read the man pages. :)

>> So the trick is to create the following /usr/bin/objformat:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> echo elf
>>
>> Make sure to set perms to +r +x -w
>
> The correct fix is to patch the configure script to not need objformat.

Indeed. Couldn't agree more. It's my understanding that this is a
linker issue. Is it possible that it only shows up now because the
default gcc is now 4.1?

> Note that as others have suggested, Apache 1.3 is now a legacy
> version.  Even if you don't move to Apache 2.2 now, I suggest your
> future plans include provision for migration off Apache 1.3.  To quote
> the Apache website: "We strongly recommend that users of all earlier
> versions, including 1.3 family release, upgrade to to the current 2.2
> version as soon as possible."

According to the Apache developers, 1.3's appeal is IJW (It Just Works).

But your point is well taken. :)

--Chris H

--
panic: kernel trap (ignored)