/usr/bin/objformat is missing

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 28 16:55:01 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:41:56PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>> Continued make deinstalls and tweaking and make && make installs
>> all still fail with the same errors. I have noticed a couple of
>> threads that relate to this. One indicates that copying
>> www/apache13/files/patch-ae to www/apache-ssl/files/patch-az worked.
>> Didn't work for me. Second one indicated that creating /usr/bin/objformat
>> with the contents of objformat being
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> echo elf
>>
>> worked for them. I'm about to try that, since it isn't possible to
>> build from source a working version. I'll report back if it does.
>
> Whoo Hoo! Yep! That did it.
>
> In case you're wondering, objformat /is/ required - at leas for
> www/apache13-ssl.
>
> So the trick is to create the following /usr/bin/objformat:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo elf
>
> Make sure to set perms to +r +x -w
>
> Should I initiate a sendpr?
>
> Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions/advice.

I don't agree with any port creating a file in /usr/bin, and it's safe
to say others will not agree with it either.  This needs to be fixed at
the core of the port build or port configure.

This should go to the freebsd-ports list, or to Clement Laforet
(maintainer) directly.  I've CC'd him on this matter.  A PR would help
and be official, but again, creating /usr/bin/objformat is a no-no.

Additional point: I understand your need for 1.3, but I strongly urge
you to consider 2.2 or at least 2.0 -- solely *because* of the
insanities involving getting SSL to work on 1.3.  We (as a hosting
provider) didn't start offering SSL capability until migrating to 2.0,
simply because I had dealt with getting SSL to work on 1.3 and did not
want to bother with all the hackery.  Take the time some day to migrate
your configs to 2.0 or 2.2 and enjoy the benefits of such.  :-)