/usr/bin/objformat is missing

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Mon Jan 28 12:52:50 PST 2008

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:33:49AM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> After a failed install of www/apache-ssl - dies with the
>> following error:
>> Syntax error on line 208 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpsd.conf:
>> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mmap_static.so into server:
>> /usr/local
>> /libexec/apache/mod_mmap_static.so: Undefined symbol "ap_null_cleanup"
>>
>> I did a little research, and wondered if the fact that I am
>> missing: /usr/bin/objformat has anything to do with it.
>
> Very unlikely.
>
> Are you using the binary package of www/apache-ssl, rather than building
> the port from source?

Building from source that was cvsupped 2008-01-18

> Have you at any time migrated from Apache 1.3.x

Nope. It's a brand new install.

> to Apache 2.x or vice-versa without cleaning out old ports or rebuilding
> other ports?  The problem seems to stem from the fact that the Apache
> 1.3.x module format is completely different than 2.x.

Thanks, I also read that. :)

> The advice seen posted previously is to rebuild all related Apache
> modules from source.  The last time I saw this reported was in late
> 2007...
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-August/043136.html

Yep. I read that too. But as mentioned above, this is a fresh
install from ports. :)

>> Doesn't this add an elf format to libraries? Do I need it? All of my
>> 6-CURRENT boxes have this. But this is a 7-PRERELEASE ( FreeBSD
>> 7.0-PRERELEASE i386 ) using 2 CPU's. If I /do/ need it, how do I
>> create it?
>
> You don't.  :-)  Look at /usr/src/usr.bin/objformat/objformat.sh for
> some details (see comments at top of file).  objformat allowed a script
> or surrounding program to determine whether or not the executable format
> was ELF or (ancient) a.out.

Kewl. I /did/ take the time to do a man objformat, && man brandelf.
Where I see all of this is to become/has already obsolete. But given
that all of my /working/ web servers have /usr/bin/objformat and this
/non/ working box doesn't, I had to ask. :)

But I'd /really/ like to get the web server working. So I'm looking
under everything in hopes of finding the "golden egg". :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

--Chris H

> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                    jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking                           http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                      Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.                  PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

panic: kernel trap (ignored)