"ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" type errors with 7.0-RC1

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 25 17:25:58 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:17:24PM -0700, Joe Peterson wrote:
> Glad you got it back!  Yes, when I was first playing with ZFS, I noticed
> that booting between single and multi user mode could make the pools
> "invisible".  Import seemed to bring them back...

I did go into single-user mode and attempt to do ZFS-related commands,
which might explain the "no datasets available" once I was back in
multiuser!  I would classify that as a bug, and one which is going to
cause all sorts of hair-pulling for administrators in the future.  I
wonder what it's caused by.

The "import" technique I found on a forum somewhere, or possibly on a
Solaris mailing list.  I was really sweating there for a moment...

> So, is the disk toast, or can you still read anything from it (part
> table, etc.)?

The ad6 disk (/backups) fsck'd cleanly without any missing files or
anomalies.

The ZFS pool that has two striped disks (ad8 and ad10) is fully intact
too, with no loss of data that I can see.  I'll have to run a scrub
after I'm done copying data over to ad6, just to make sure though.