"ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" type errors with 7.0-RC1

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jan 25 13:18:23 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Thomas Hurst wrote:
>> These numbers are quite worrysome-- they should be zero or nearly
>> so in a
>> healthy drive.
>
> No, these are perfectly reasonable for a Seagate.  I have about 12
> 7200.X's and all show the same sort of behavior.  If they're nearly
> zero
> it's probably a sign your manufacturer isn't actually counting them
> (marketroids hate accurate SMART readings).
>
> Try graphing them as counters; with an idle disk you'll see periodic
> sawtooth patterns as the heads crawl from one side of the disk to the
> other.

SMART attributes which end with _Ct or _Count are supposed to
increment with every event; things which end with _Rate (ie,
Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Seek_Error_Rate) are supposed to indicate the
frequency of such errors over time.  It would be reasonable for
Hardware_ECC_Recovered to keep the incremental count, but not the
other two.

I agree that minor periodic errors happen over time and are not a
great concern, but a happy drive will show zero reallocated sectors,
or perhaps a few over the span of a year or two, and will have a ECC
recovered or UDMA_CRC count which is much smaller than was reported by
Joe.

YMMV, of course...

--
-Chuck