Latest Stable FreeBSD release and is it supported on dell 2950

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Wed Jan 23 08:25:59 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 12:30 AM, navneet Upadhyay wrote:

> Hi ,
>          I have following questions.
>
> 1. Which is the latest release of FreeBSD.
>

> 2. When was it released?
>
> 3. What is the patch level?
>
> 4.What is the stability

See http://www.freebsd.org/ for above.  Short answer: 6.3 released
last week.

> 5. Which compiler to use: cc or gcc and which version .

cc == gcc on freebsd.  Unless your app requires a specific gcc
version, just use the one the system installs for you.

> 6. Which platform/machine which BSD supports. Is Dell 2950 ok

I've only ever had one compatibility issue with a Dell, and that was
easily fixed by teaching the bge ethernet driver the name of the
chipset used on that particular box.  I have a PE1900 here we just got
and it runs 7.0-RC1 quite nicely.

In general, unless you're running some obscure devices, FreeBSD works
just fine with most systems.