'vidcontrol -m on' is killing my machine

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Wed Jan 23 05:00:08 PST 2008

Hi!

I'm using a new HP 6715b notebook. When trying to use this with a
docking station (PA286), the machine keeps hanging at message
"starting default moused:". The machine then just has died (I even
can't break into debugger using ctrl+alt+esc).

On investigation I figured out, `vidcontrol -m on' (called by
/etc/rc.d/moused) is causing that freeze. Using an USB mouse,
the system dies immediately when plugging in the mouse ("starting ums0
moused:" appears).

Everything is fine when the system is undocked or moused _completely_
disabled.

Running with WITNESS enabled does not give anything. Would INVARIANTS
give me something here?

FreeBSD cesar.sz.vwsoft.com 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #8:
Tue Jan 22 01:29:52 CET 2008
root at cesar.sz.vwsoft.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CESAR  i386

For now, I've commented out the vidcontrol call in /etc/rc.d/moused to
work around that issue.

Looking at the code in vidcontrol.c, I have no idea what might cause
that as it's really simple code and basically just calling an IOCTL.

The notebook has got an internal LCD with 1680x1050 and the docking
station has a 1280x1024 display connected (what may get some code
being confused?).

What's going on there?

Thx!

Volker