T7200 CPU not detected by est

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 22 01:24:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:47:56AM +0100, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
> Ok, so it's probably neither specific for CPUs nor for the mainbaords;
> however, up to now all CPUs with this problem are Core2 CPUs.
>
> JC> In the case of our servers, we usually turn EIST off (this one
> JC> particular box has it enabled) because of the above problem -- but I'd
> JC> much rather have it turned on to help save power.  For a laptop or
> JC> workstation, however, I can see this being an incredibly important
> JC> feature.
>
> I run low power workstations here which are intended to be used in a lab
> environment, and I would very much like to have working power-saving
> features (otherwise the whole setup is quite useless).
>
> Can I somehow help debugging this, should I file a PR or are there any
> further recommended things to do?

I believe the problem is that our CPUs don't match any of the
identification verification methods performed in
src/sys/i386/cpufreq/est.c.

I should be able to make a patch for this, but will need time  -- our
to-be-dev/test C2D box sits in my living room waiting for CPUs to arrive
so it can be built.  :-)

If you'd like to file a PR in the meantime, that'd be great too; let me
know what the PR # is.