problems with LC_ALL

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:01:53 PST 2008

On Sun, 20.01.2008 at 12:53:54 -0800, Javier Elizondo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using darwing in a mac book pro, when I open
> terminal I get the following message that appears only
> in my account, I would like to get help in order to
> fix it.
>
> Last login: Sun Jan 20 14:32:18 on ttys001
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> 	LC_ALL = (unset),
> 	LANG = "UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale
> ("C").
>
> I have tried but without success. The languaje is
> EN_US with iso and the keyboard is in spanish, but not
> problem with it.

Your LANG setting of "UTF-8" is plain wrong. There is no UTF-8
language. Please check the output of "locale" and then set LANG to
something that can be find in the output of "locale -a".

The keyboard is not affected by LANG, so if you want English error
messages and are using UTF-8, you should place the following in
your shell startup file

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.