Huge number of interrupts on nfe driver

The Wolf tsawolf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 12:02:39 PST 2008

Hello everyone.

A webserver that I've been working on seems to be having some issues of some
sort with the nfe-20071124 driver.  We have it running on two gigabit ports,
one facing inwards to the database server, and the other facing outwards.
The outward facing port is the only one which I currently have bandwidth
information on, and it seems to be pushing around 35-40 Mb/s.

Unfortunately, there are literally billions of interrupts generated in only
a short period of time. In the last 40 days, there are 4,502,689,887
interrupts on the outward facing port, and another 653,327,087 on the inward
facing port.  It is literally slowing down the machine to a crawl - on a
comparatively powerful server that previously performed the same task, load
hovered around 0.2 -> 0.4.  On the current machine, the load average hovers
between 14 and 16.

/var/log/messages is flooded with messages such as: kernel: nfe0: watchdog
timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering.

Attached I am including portions of the output of lspci, in case there is
relevant data there.

If there is anything else I can provide you with, please don't hesitate to
ask.

Sincerely,
tsawolf