T7200 CPU not detected by est

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 09:01:02 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 05:16:06PM +0100, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
> I have several systems using T7200 mobile CPUs running under 7-stable.
> However, EST does not recognize the cpus. When loading cpufreq I get:
>
> ---
> Jan 18 23:18:14 comet kernel: est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
> Jan 18 23:18:14 comet kernel: est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> Jan 18 23:18:14 comet kernel: est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 6130c2906000c29
> Jan 18 23:18:14 comet kernel: device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
> ---

I see identical behaviour on our Supermicro PDSMI+ systems, using E6420
CPUs, so I don't believe the problem is specific to your motherboard or
certain Intel CPU models:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6420  @ 2.13GHz (2128.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
acpi0: <PTLTD   RSDT> on motherboard
acpi0: [ITHREAD]
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 82a082a0600082a
device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 82a082a0600082a
device_attach: est1 attach returned 6

In the case of our servers, we usually turn EIST off (this one
particular box has it enabled) because of the above problem -- but I'd
much rather have it turned on to help save power.  For a laptop or
workstation, however, I can see this being an incredibly important
feature.