Manual/Wiki or other documentation for PXE install mainly install.cfg?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Jan 21 06:05:15 PST 2008

        Hi there, I’ve seen about a dozen different example files for the install.cfg used to feed sysinstall automatic configuration data for pxe installations but I cant figure out where people are getting the options they’re using from.

Is there a manual, wiki or otherwise documentation on what is “valid” to put into this file?

Also is this file at all scriptable?

We would like to be able to use the same install.cfg on all of our machines but some of them have different NICs (i.e.) some have rl0, fxp0 can we use if statements to detect?

Really our installs are pretty basic all we do is

Standard -> auto slice -> auto partition -> dhcp -> no extra packages -> SSH enable -> install over FTP

So nothing hard about that ☺

Its just figuring out the right syntax.

It would be nice if when you do an installation it creates an .install.cfg in /root with the settings you could use to reproduce that same exact configuration on other machines :-)

I'm kind of a dreamer though.

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks!

-Drew