Dell Perc 6 disk geometry problem with RAID5 (both 6.3 final and 7.0 RC1)

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Jan 20 09:58:27 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:48:56PM +0000, David Wood wrote:
> [ambrisko@ and scottl@ added to CCs]
>
> Hi there,
>
> In message <9c1614e00801200608k49195944mf241b7b0aa6a48 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Aldas Nabazas <freebsd.stable1 at gmail.com> writes
>> We bought a new Dell PowerEdge 2950III with Perc 6/i and have the disk
>> geometry problem using 6.3 final or 7.0 RC1. Seems that we are not alone at
>> least one guy has similar problem reported earlier:
>>
>> I was reading the mailing list and found that some of the people are happily
>> using this hardware with the latest FreeBSD:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039675.html
>>
>> I just wonder what the status of mfi driver? Maybe it's not fully tested or
>> there will be some important fixes before 7.0 final? We are going to try
>> different RAID combinations but it definitely not working using 6x146GB as
>> RAID5.

I do not know if the mfi(4) driver has any problems with large disks, but it
is however well known that fdisk(8) and bsdlabel(8) (the tools normally used
to partition disks) have problems with volumes larger than 2TB.

If you want to use volumes larger than 2TB then gpt(8) is the recommended
way to partition the disks.  It is however doubtful if the BIOS in your
system will allow you to boot from a gpt(8) parttioned volume which is
best solved with having a separate - smaller - boot volume where the OS
itself is installed.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson