panic when copying to ext2fs

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 18 15:12:20 PST 2008

Jakub Siroky wrote:
> I have two large ext2fs partitions (368 and 313GB) to hold data shared between several OSes.  While there were no problems on 6-STABLE branch I was quite
disappointed after upgrade to 7-STABLE. Whenever I copy/write to ext2fs
partition the system freezes totally without crashdump. So I set
debugging settings to kernel config (DEBUG,WITNESS,..) and in console I
reproduced error situation ending with full screen of unstoppable
running text with lot of memory addresses and a few recognisable words:
'new block bit set for ext already' - again with no crashdump. Then I
have formatted 1GB partition with ext2fs and the problem on this small
partition appears only sometimes.

1) Please wrap your lines so your emails can be easily read.

2) Check the developer's handbook, it explains how to configure the
debugger so you can investigate this further.

Kris