7.0, ZFS and freebsd-update (was: Re: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 Available_

Royce Williams royce at alaska.net
Fri Jan 18 14:32:27 PST 2008

s3raphi wrote, on 1/18/2008 12:19 PM:
> I am trying to run freebsd-update on 7.0-RC1 on a system with a ZFS root and
> am also having problems with flags:
>
> [root at newsrv ~]# freebsd-update install
> Installing updates...chflags: ///lib/libc.so.7: Operation not supported
>
> Is there a workaround for this?

Since all of my filesystems on my 7.0 system are ZFS, I've been making
a copy of freebsd-update with the "chflag" calls commented out.  Since
ZFS doesn't support flags yet, this is harmless.

If any of your primary filesystems are not ZFS, this is not a good
solution.

If you go this route, you'll have to watch for changes to
freebsd-update and reapply them.

I expect that once ZFS is no longer considered experimental,
freebsd-update will have a way to handle this.

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531