PCI MSI (was Re: What current Dell Systems are supported/work)

Parv parv at pair.com
Fri Jan 18 02:28:53 PST 2008

(Dropped Vivek K from recipient list; edited the URLs in my previous
message.)

in message <200801171520.25555.jhb at freebsd.org>,
wrote John Baldwin thusly...

> On Thursday 17 January 2008 06:05:17 am Parv wrote:
> > Speaking of MSI being on by default in recent 6-STABLE ... well,
> > that caused my ThinkPad T61 (8859-CTO) ...
> >
> >   dmesg:
> >   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t61-8897-cto/sys/dmesg
> >
> >   kernel (combined for easy perusal):
> >   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t61-8897-cto/cf/kern/combined/T61-SMP.debug--combined
> >
> >   /boot/device.hints:
> >   http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t61-8897-cto/cf/boot/device.hints
> >

> > ... to go in panic[0]
> >   [0] I could not save the dump for neither do I have access to
> >       serial console, nor could the file system be mounted.
> >       Missing also here is a digital camera.  If anybody is
> >       interested, I could write screen down, and repeat to them.
>
> For starters, can you get the output of 'pciconf -lc'?

Hi John,

You can find pciconf -lc at ...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t61-8897-cto/sys/pciconf-lc

  and pciconf -lv, just in case ...
  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t61-8897-cto/sys/pciconf-lv

> Secondly, I really will need the kernel panic message.  If it is a
> page fault (trap 12) then write down the faulting virtual address
> and the faulting IP.  If you can scribble down any of the stack
> trace from DDB that would be helpful as well.

There was no page fault or trap 12 message when the panic happened.
After some of messages are printed (as in dmesg), kdb is entered ...

  ioapic0: Assigning PCI IRQ 23 to local APIC 1
  msi: Assigning MSI IRQ 256 to local APIC 0
  panic: blockabke sleep block (sleep mutex) msi @ /misc/src-6/sys/i386/i386/msi.c:381
  cpuid: 0
  kdb: stack backtrace
  kbd_backtrace( c0adc531,0,c0abaafd,c1020c34,c0bab700,...) at ... \
    [I skipped from here to the "db>" prompt]
  .
  .
  .

Tomorrow, rather later today, I will type up the "trace" output.
Please let me know if you would like to see any other output that I
could possibly provide.

  - Parv