Dell PERC6?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 17 05:59:35 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:59:36PM +0100, Ferdinand Goldmann wrote:
> I am in the process of buying new Dell hardware, mainly the 2950 III.
> According to various postings I found, the PERC6/i Controller _should_ work
> with FreeBSD 6.3. Does anyone successfully use a 2950 III with PERC6/i
> controller and can confirm this?

You'd be best off with RELENG_7 and not 6.3, but yes, the controller in
question should work on RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_3.

> Sorry if the question sounds stupid, but as I cannot find any references to
> the PERC6 in either documentation or source code I am a bit confused, and I
> wanted to make sure it works before shelling out my employers money. :-)

There's been recent discussions on -stable about performance issues with
mfi(4) under certain drive configuration conditions.  Here's the thread:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-December/038755.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039568.html

See specifically these two posts:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039574.html