Fwd: FreeBSD 6.3 and Intel G33

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Jan 16 21:26:52 PST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > OK.. Not sure what GTT is though :)
>
> Think page tables on your CPU, but for the graphics device's virtual
> addressing inside of the AGP aperture.

Righto.

> > Fatal server error:
> > Couldn't bind memory for front buffer
>
> That's almost surely as a result of the stolen memory issue.

OK, so the only solution is to fix the AGP driver to remember the stolen
memory address, etc?

The thing is that your GIT version doesn't work either and gives the
same error so I am not sure what to try now.

> > OK.
> > I really only want the 2D driver so DPMS works and the screen saver
> > can turn the monitor off (although faster 2D would be good as well)
>
> DPMS should work with the VESA driver even, not to discourage you
> from the right solution.

The X log file says DPMS is enabled but doing 'xset dpms force off'
doesn't do anything (although when you move the mouse or press a key
the whole display refreshes so it appears X thinks it's been off)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum