Backup solution suggestions

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:27:36 PST 2008

On Wed, 16.01.2008 at 00:26:34 +0100, Johan Ström wrote:
> I create regular tarball (gziped maybee) with some files i want to backup,
> Then i encrypt this file with ie gpg. Then i send of this file using some
> unspecified network protocol to the storage server.
> Encrypted all the way, from my end to the remote disk..
> The downside is that it is a static file.. not a "dynamic filesystem",
> nothing I can mount and have easy access to individual files from. *Thats*
> what I'm looking for.

Export the disk on the backup server with ggated. Bind it on the client
with ggatec. Slap a GELI or GBDE encryption on top of it and then put a
ZFS on top of it.

You can mount/import this "remote" ZFS at will and do your zfs
send/receive on your local box. Nothing ever leaves your box
unencrypted.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.