Backup solution suggestions

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:16:38 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 00:26 +0100, Johan Ström wrote:
> <snip>
> Simple Example:
>
> I create regular tarball (gziped maybee) with some files i want to
> backup, Then i encrypt this file with ie gpg. Then i send of this
> file using some unspecified network protocol to the storage server.
> Encrypted all the way, from my end to the remote disk..
> The downside is that it is a static file.. not a "dynamic
> filesystem", nothing I can mount and have easy access to individual
> files from. *Thats* what I'm looking for.

Have you looked into using mdconfig(8) to make a vnode (ie: file) backed
md disk, and then encrypting with geli(8)?

This would be generated on your trusted local box, transferred encrypted
to your backup box, where it can't be examined without your key, but
with your key it could be mounted simply enough.

You wouldn't be able to take incremental snapshots easily - unless
perhaps you generated a list of modified/added files and used those
files as your incremental snapshot. This may/may not be viable,
depending on the size of your data set.

Tom