Why does firefox keep locking up on me?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Jan 15 14:10:56 PST 2008

Hey all,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Christian Walther wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> On 15/01/2008, Bob Vaughan <techie at tantivy.net> wrote:
>> I've been having a problem on one particular machine with Firefox locking up
>> on me, requiring a hard kill to get rid of it.
>>
>> The problem is thus: Firefox starts normally, but as soon as I go to a
>> site that requires authentication, or any other form of user input,
>> It will freeze as soon as I start entering my userid.
> [...]
>>
>> Any ideas where to start looking?
>
> Since you've done nearly everything that could affect a binary working
> properly, I think we can rule out a problem with the base system, X or
> the browser itself.
> I guess the problem might be related to your ~/.mozilla directory. I
> noticed that a large variety of problems might be related to something
> been broken inside it.
> This might be an extension that might be incompatible and that isn't
> installed on any of the other machines.
> I'd recommend you to shut down firefox, open a terminal window and
> rename the directory to something different. Please note that it
> contains all settings you've made in *any* mozilla product (sunbird,
> thunderbird).
> Start firefox again and give it a try.

Another neat trick that I oddly enough learned using OS-X is to just setup
a new user on the box and reserve it for checking out odd problems that
might be caused by any user-specific settings.  This has really helped me
out a number of times.  Very different OSes, but both end up with a ton of
user-specific stuff in $HOME...

Charles