Backup solution suggestions

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Tue Jan 15 01:53:21 PST 2008

Hello

I'm looking to invest in some new hardware for backup. probably some
kind of NAS (a 4-disk 1U NAS or something in that size). The thing is
that I won't be the only one with access to this box, thus I would
like to secure my data.
What I would like is encryption both for the transfer to the box, and
encrypted on disk. The data on disk should not be readable by anyone
but me (ie the other user(s) of the box should not be able to read
it, at least not without a big effort).

So, I'm wondering what the best solution might be.. Tar'balling all
my stuff and encrypt it with GPG or something and just dump it there
with NFS would be the easiest solution, but maybe not the best. I've
been thinking about running a GELI image on my box, and store that on
the NAS over NFS.. would that be doable/secure/stable?
Another idea would be to go with some regular 1U box running some
FBSD, doing scp to the box and geli local on the box but that would
require me to have the encryption keys on that box (which would be
shared so thus no good idea).

Any other ideas? Being able to rsync to the backup storage instead of
just sending big encrypted tarballs would be very nice (and I guess
that would be possible with geli version)

Maybe not the perfect list for this, but it is somewhat freebsd
specific and I'm sure some other ppl on the list have had simliar
situations :)

--
Johan Ström
Stromnet