/usr/lib/compat and updates

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Jan 15 01:08:53 PST 2008

Hi all,

I've been doing a number of 4.11 -> 5.5 -> 6.2 upgrades.  All of them I've
done have gone very well.  One that was handled by someone else following
my step-by-step directions ended up missing some items from
/usr/lib/compat and all the timestamps on the files in that directory are
quite old (2002 and 2005).

As best I can tell "COMPAT4X" was set in /etc/make.conf on the machine in
question.

Can anyone help me understand where in the update process the compat libs
are updated and which files correspond to which release?

Thanks,

Charles