7.0-PRERELEASE desktop system periodically freezes momentarily

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Mon Jan 14 07:34:41 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 21:09 +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Yeah, this shows things like contention between the mouse device and
> other parts of the kernel that still require the Giant lock in 6.x.  It
> is not likely that these will be fixed in 6.x but most of them are in
> 7.0, so you should obtain better performance by upgrading to 7.0.
>
> Kris

This system is now:
FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Jan 14 17:40:02 CST 2008 root at freebsd6stable-1.vmware:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

I haven't touched ports yet apart from nvidia-driver- and adding
compat6x. I haven't done any extensive testing as yet but repeating what
I was doing previously as a 'litmus test' - launch gnome, open a
terminal, launch glxgears, (1) drag glxgears window, (2) add gnome
'Network Monitor' applet, (3) add 'System Monitor' applet with
'Harddisk' enabled as a 'Monitored Resource'. So far I'm seeing what
seems to be identical behaviour:

(1) Huge lag when I commence dragging glxgears window, typ. 1-2 seconds
(2) glxgears stutters at 2Hz matching update rate of applet
(3) ditto

(1) manifests in two ways - window drags but glxgears freezes, and, more
severely, window freezes where it is (stops both updating and following
cursor).

So far while launching/using evolution, epiphany, etc. I see stalls that
look pretty similar to 6.x behaviour.

Just thought I'd check in in case there are any suggestions at this
point. If not I'll proceed with recompiling ports and preparing test
kernels.

Wayne